With barbecue season just around the corner, having a healthy vegetarian option to enjoy the great bbq flavor is never a bad idea. This BBQ Beans and Sweets (sweet potatoes) recipe is sure to be a family favorite. Having your kids help you chop, slice, dice, and measure ingredients is a great way to get them involved in the kitchen. Their participation will increase the likelihood that they taste and enjoy the meal they helped prepare!
BBQ Beans and Sweets
- 3 gloves of Garlic, sliced
- 1 15oz can of Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 stalks of Celery, chopped
- 3 medium Sweet Potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Garlic Powder
- 1/2 fresh Lime
- 1 Avocado, diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F and grease a baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potatoes with 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Roast for 25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- In a sauté pan, warm 1/2 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add celery and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add beans and BBQ sauce. Gently combine and sauté for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lime juice in. Gently stir.
- In serving bowls, place roasted sweet potatoes, then beans with celery
- and top with diced avocado and cilantro.
- Course: Any
- Skill Level: N/A